Waiting to address the pain you experience on an average workday could mean life or death. Many Americans are experiencing worsening conditions associated with the potentially deadly symptoms of prolonged sitting. Around 86 percent of our population spends at least 8 hours of their day in a job where they are required to sit.
If your job in San Luis Obispo requires you to spend most of your time on a computer, sitting may seem like a tough habit to break. There are numerous ways, however, you can circumvent or lessen the damage caused by inactivity. Taking regular breaks to stretch your legs is a great start. Movement is key when combating the negative effects of a sedentary lifestyle.
Problem SolvingOffices around the country are looking to ergonomic office systems to better improve the quality of life of their employees and the output of their business. When your body suffers from the stresses of sitting, it lowers your performance, motivation, and overall health. Ergonomic office furniture can help.
• Ergonomic workstations are comprehensive office stations that take into account all the fine details of the traditional office setup that can be harmful to the human body. The position and ergonomics of your keyboard, mouse, and monitor can be causing you pain and inching you closer toward conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome and neck pain.
• Adjustable keyboard trays give you the option of using a split keyboard, posturing your hands and wrists in a neutral position to reduce unnecessarily straining your muscles.
• Adjustable monitor arms can help position your monitor in a way that reduces eyestrain. An optimal position allows your back and neck to remain in a neutral position throughout the day.
• Proper lighting ensures your workstation is fully lit with light that is glare-free and shadow-free. This small feature can greatly reduce headaches and symptoms associated with Computer Vision Syndrome.
• Standing desks provide relief for those long hours of sitting. Studies show that spending half your day standing will largely reduce the effects that prolonged sitting has on your body.
What You Can DoImproving the way our office workstations are structured is a key component in creating a healthy work environment. Ergonomic office furniture and workstations that allow employees the option to stand while working have been shown to greatly improve productivity and morale in the workplace. Reducing stress has also been shown to reduce aches and pains in the body and foster a calmer, more positive disposition. Finding ways to be physically active is also very important. For instance:
• Running releases endorphins in the body that naturally distress and keep people happy. Incorporating physical activity in your daily routine is a huge stress reducer.
• Studies show that taking just 5 minutes a day to slow down and focus solely on your breath can relieve stress and depression.
• Many yoga postures can be done even at your desk. Yoga is a great way to improve your circulation and flexibility, and a perfect way to incorporate stretching throughout your day.
Visit Relax the Back in San Luis Obispo for a personal assessment and to start having a happier and healthier workday.
Brezza by Relax The Back®
The Brezza by Relax The Back® offers the advantage of a breathable mesh back, then lets you add the custom options you want.starting at $895.00More Info
AdaptDesk by Relax The Back®
Easily transition from sitting to standing to relieve stress on your spine, increase circulation and improve mental alertness.starting at $1,395.00More Info
Desk Top Riser
The Workspace™ Lift35 converts any surface into a flexible sit-stand desk, giving you the proven health benefits of movement.starting at $429.00More Info
Humanscale Rocking Foot Machine
The Humanscale® Rocking Foot Machine encourages foot movement in a gentle, nearly effortless rocking motion.regular price $109.00More Info
The Rock-N-Stop Footrest keeps your legs active all day so your body feels energized and fresh. When we sit for extended periods of time, our legs tend to lose circulation and metabolism slows down as a result.regular price $69.00More Info
Humanscale World Chair
The World Chair marks Humanscale's first foray into all-mesh task seating. Like its mesh-backed forerunner, Liberty, the World chair's tri-panel backrest hugs the body to provide tailor-made lumbar support, while its mesh seat eliminates contact stress under the thighs.starting at $769.00More Info
Kneeling Posture Chair
The active seating introduced by the Kneeling Posture Chair reduces lower back pain and encourages proper posture. It also uses your back muscles to help you maintain good balance while aligning your back, shoulders and neck.regular price $399.00
Easy Lift Tilt Keyboard Combo
Keyboard platform allows users to mouse on the left or right side in one simple motion. The platform's design keeps the elbows closer to the body for a more neutral arm position eliminating arm and shoulder stress. Height and angle adjusts for optimal data entry position.regular price $299.00More Info
Humanscale Quick Stand Workstation
Movement is at the core of good health, so keep moving effortlessly between seated and standing with this height adjustable workstation that clamps to any fixed height surface. Accommodates a monitor up to 24".starting at $699.00More Info
Relax The Back® Foot Rest
Adjustable footrest helps maintain correct posture, increases circulation and relieves back pain-a must with every office chair.regular price $49.00More Info
Lifeform® Ultimate Mid Back Executive Office Chair
Perfect for those looking for medium height with exceptional ergonomic design. 5 adjustable controls put you in an optimal seating position to relieve pressure and encourage correct posture.starting at $1,795.00More Info
Lifeform® Ultimate High Back Executive Office Chair
Ergonomic office chairs increase productivity by allowing you to sit comfortably for longer periods of time.starting at $1,995.00More Info
Humanscale® Monitor Arm
The Humanscale® Monitor Arm reduces neck and upper back pain by allowing you to effortlessly adjust the position of your flat panel monitor’s position.regular price $269.00More Info
Humanscale® Liberty™ Office Chair
Unlike many office chairs with backs made of a single panel of stretch mesh, the Humanscale® Liberty™ Office Chair has a tri-panel, non-stretch construction.starting at $949.00More Info
Humanscale® Freedom™ Task Chair with Headrest
All Humanscale® Freedom™ Task Chair models are designed to automatically support the body with minimal need for manual controls.starting at $1,049.00More Info
Contour Lumbar/Cervical Cushion
The Contour Lumbar/Cervical Cushion is also good after hard day's work, when your body needs to rest and recuperate.regular price $59.00More Info
Extended Reach Monitor Arm
Properly position your monitor arm for ergonomic comfort and reduce eye strain. Position your monitor so the top line of text is at or slightly below eye level, reducing awkward posture.regular price $200.00More Info