Knee pain is a common issue that affects people of all ages and is often accompanied by physical limitations. The pain may be prominent in one specific part of the knee or it may be diffused throughout the surrounding area. Given that it can affect every step you take, knee pain is difficult to ignore.
What is Knee Pain?
The knee is the largest joint in the body and is a complex area comprised of many parts, including the knee joint, the kneecap, various ligaments and cartilage. When part of the knee experiences strain or inflammation, it can lead to irritation and pain in the knee.
Knee pain has many possible causes including injuries, different types of arthitis and mechanical problems. In a healthy knee, the cartilage acts as a cushion that keeps the bone and joint from rubbing together. However, things like age, wear and degenerative conditions can cause the cartilage to break down over time. Breakdown in cartilage creates discomfort and pain in the knee.
Some of the most common causes of knee pain include:
- Arthritis – A chronic condition that causes inflammation in the joints, arthritis is a degenerative problem that wears away cartilage. When this happens in the knee, it generally leads to increased friction between the knee bones.
- Tendonitis – A common sports injury, tendonitis is caused by overuse of the same body part. When tendonitis is found in the knee, it causes irritation in the knee’s tendons.
- Injuries – When you take a fall or experience trauma around the knee, it can damage the ligaments that hold the knee bones together.
Knee pain symptoms depend on the cause of the pain and can vary in location and sensation. Knee pain can be felt in one specific area or throughout the whole knee joint. Paying attention to what you’re doing when symptoms arise will help you better understand what the root cause may be. Common symptoms of knee pain can include:
- Stiffness and swelling
- Limited mobility
- Inability to straighten the leg fully
Self-Care Solutions for Knee Pain
A variety of self-care solutions are available to treat most types of knee pain. These treatments typically work best when you pair them with consistent preventative measures. Here are some self-care solutions you can try to reduce or eliminate knee pain:
- Exercise – Daily movement keeps your muscles strong and healthy. Exercise can help reduce knee pain for some and prevents the knee from becoming stiff.
- Weight management – Your weight can directly impact the health of your knee and aggravate problems. Weight management is important when maintaining the health of your knees.
- RICE – if you’ve recently taken a fall or twisted your knee, it could be strained. RICE is an acronym that stands for Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation. When you combine these treatments you can help reduce swelling and alleviate pain.
Relax The Back is a leading expert in wellness solutions for healing chronic pain. We offer an array of products that can help rehabilitate injured knee joints. Some options for preventing knee pain and supporting spinal-health include:
- Knee Support Sleeves: Knee support sleeves provide targeted support and stabilization of the knee. If you’re recovering from an injury, this support provides relief and protection for the knee joint without limiting your mobility. Athletes recovering from sports injuries, or those looking to prevent future knee issues, can use support sleeves to help minimize knee joint damage.
- Far Infrared Knee Wrap: This infrared knee wrap comforts your body and provides portable heat therapy. These heat wraps deliver heat deep into the muscles, which helps to increase circulation and reduce inflammation. Runners and cyclists suffering from inflamed knee joints can benefit from the convenience of infrared knee wraps to decrease swelling and protect the knee.
There are no products matching the selection.